Wednesday, September 8, 2010

To Everything There Is a Season


Back in January I put out a prayer request for my Sister-in-Law Bonnie who was diagnosed with Leukemia. This pic was taken at their home at our annual Christmas get-together last December, a few weeks before she fell ill. Many prayers have been said and I know they all helped in many ways. When I went home for my Niece's wedding shower, Bonnie and I talked on the phone because she was in the hospital where she's been for almost 8 months. We laughed about many things and decided that at Amy's wedding we would wear wigs. Bonnie lost all her hair from chemo, but we decided that we used to wear wigs and hair pieces back in the 70's all the time so this October wedding would be the best time to resurrect that style! I was uplifted by her humor, strength and courage as we talked about her battle with cancer...and here I thought I would cheer her up when it was the other way around. I'm so glad we had that time to talk. This past weekend she took a sharp turn for the worse and this morning she passed away. It's so hard to believe how life can move along and we take so many things for granted...things like family that we think will always be there. That we stupidly feel that bad things only happen to "other" people. Then finding out that we are "other" people and that life can bring such happy moments as weddings, and birthdays, then turn and slap you right across the face with reality. My brother Phil started dating Bonnie when they were teenagers and I was a klutzy 9yr. old who thought Bonnie was the most beautiful girl ever. I envied her pretty blond hair, and cute dimples...two things I surely lacked! She dressed so perfect and I wished I could just stay clean once and a while! She was always sweet to me and I've enjoyed a friendship and sisterhood that's lasted 48 years. My heart goes out to my brother who now must navigate this season of his life without her, the love of his life and who's been a wonderful companion and wife for 43yrs. I'm sure she is enjoying the next life with her parents and family and my Dad and nephew Jono...I know that the Lord has a plan and we are a part of a family for a reason and someday we will all be together again. It's just this short time of separation that we must go on while they go ahead. Thankfully we have faith in our Savior Jesus Christ who promises us that families are forever. Goodbye Bonnie...God be with you till we meet again.

15 comments:

Donna said...

What a touching tribute. Life is fragile as you said and that being said I think one appreciates it more as it goes by. You were and are a wonderful sister and sister-in-law! Your thoughtfulness and caring always comes through. Your sense of humor is just the best and had to be a wonderful uplift for Bonnie as well as the rest of you family...I know it is to me! The closeness of your brothers and sister and Mom are extraordinary in this day and age and just hearing about your family events makes me envious not to be in your family. They will be of enormous comfort to Phil and each other through this. 43 years while a long time, seems short when you want that person to live well another 20-30 years, yet having a wonderful marriage is a treasure for a lifetime. Sympathies to Phil, you and the rest of your family. There must be joy in heaven right now because I know another extraordinary person who also went to heaven today. I'm sure the angels are smiling and wishing comfort to all.

Rosaria Williams said...

My deepest sympathies. This cannot be easy for the family.

Wander to the Wayside said...

So sorry for your loss. I lost my sister-in-law years ago after her long battle with breast cancer, and yet when it came it was such a shock to all of us. I know your brother will be comforted by what appears to be a large and close family who loved her as he did, and that many memories of her will be shared in the coming weeks, months, and years.

Mrs Catch said...

So sorry for you and your family. It must be a very difficult time. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

PoetessWug said...

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. As I can see you are a person who believes in God, I hope you find some comfort in this scripture: Revelation 21:4,5. My thoughts are with you during this tough time.

Midge said...

WEll put....you do it so well Kath..She was here most of our lives and longer than we had Dad or I had Jono....but I am sure she is there with the elite group that has touched the face of God before us and will make our leaving easier.....Love ya
Midge

Stacy said...

Sorry for you loss. Families are forever. Until you meet again.

Christina said...

Kathy, I'm so sorry for you and your family's loss. I'm so glad you know that families can be forever, and I know that will help you get through this. Love you.

Susan Anderson said...

I'm so sorry to read this news about your sister-in-law. It sounds like you had a wonderful relationship, and I know both you and your brother will miss her.

You and your entire family will be in my prayers.

Karen Whittal said...

My prayers are with you all, even though we know they are in a better place it does not stop us wishing they were still with us, I hope its okay I will put your family on our prayer chain for upliftment. God Bless Lots of Love Karen

CHERI said...

Yaya, I am so very sorry. My prayers are with you and your family. Cancer is such a devastating disease and has taken far too many of our beloved family members and friends. How I hope and wish and pray for a cure...sooner than later. I'm so glad you had that final talk with your SIL and that you and she shared some laughter. You are right...she is in a better place than we are and in time we will once again all meet those loved ones we've lost.

Rose said...

so sorry for your loss. always remember the great gift of having that person in your life. nothing can take that away unless we discount the value of that person. My prayers are fr you and your family. God bless. rose

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

I am so sorry honey to read about Bonnie. Your tribute to her is so beautiful and my deepest sympathies to you and your family.
When I read she had been in the hospital for 8 months I thought I have no problems and then I kept reading and I just hate it so bad.
My heart goes out to you and your brother. I too have a sister-in-law that I have loved since grade school.
I am praying for all of you
Love
Maggie

Beth said...

I'm sorry to hear of your sister in laws passing. I haven't looked at a computer for the past couple of weeks while we took the girls out to school. Your tribute is lovely and it is so good to feel the peace our Heavenly Father blesses us with. I agree with Donna 43 years sounds like a long time but really it goes by so quickly what a blessing it is to know that we can be together for eternity. Love ya!

Holyoke Home said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family during this awful, awful time.