Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Over Achievers

This has been a crazy weather Summer. We can't really complain around these parts though. We've had a good amount of rain that has been balanced by warm and humid, and seasonal coolness. All that's added up to a yard and flowers that seem to have "over achieved" this year. The grass is green like Spring and I think the flowers look pretty good for the end of Summer. Of course I won't go into the weed issue. They have over achieved too! I took some "flower power" shots of the front of our home.
It makes a pretty walk way up to the front door.
Speaking of over achieving...this is one sweet potato vine...one..it's covered the whole planter, the other flowers in that planter, and the flowers next to the planter...show off.
Another angle..Somehow this plant reminds me of Cousin It from the old Munsters TV show..
I took a stroll around my yard tonight. I talked to my Sis and Mom to help pass the time...I was trying to be an overachiever and do a ton of laps around the property. It was hot and muggy..I know tomorrow it's suppose to get very cool, but tonight it was a sweat fest...but around I went..First up the side and then to the top and....
Then down this side of the yard..across the drive...around the front...and back up to the top of the hill...ready to join me?
Remember this place? Poor sign! It needs to be reattached to the pole and straightened up so no one will miss it's fun creepiness that happens in the fall. Although no Halloween party this year...sorry! My family will be here visiting that weekend in October when we usually host a blow out spookfest...but surprises do happen, right?
This used to be a path..one that lead me, friends, Grandkiddos, Eddy the boxer, just to name a few who enjoyed the walk. Since it's suppose to get chilly this weekend I think it will be a good time to get the big weed whacker out and start to make some sense of this place.
I'll have to be the overachiever to conquer this project...future paths, here I come!

15 comments:

Stacy said...

You have a beautiful property. I love that sweet potato vine.

acorn hollow said...

your flowers look great and you are so smart to walk while on the phone! you should have a halloween party for family. Why waste the creepy woods
Cathy

Wander to the Wayside said...

I'm so jealous! We had extreme heat and drought this summer, followed by 20" of rain, so my garden barely survived - except for a hanging sweet potato vine, which sadly is being eaten by something right now that has each leaf looking like swiss cheese. Is that a dahlia next to the mums? Just lovely, and a perfect garden for a walk-about!

Susan Anderson said...

I love your creepy woods.

=)

Darlene said...

The flowers are lovely. I don't know where you get the energy to walk so much around your property, but I must say, it is a very pretty place to walk. I really should get back to walking on my treadmill, but somehow I just can't seem to get started. Maybe it is because I know that once I start, I will have to do it every single day and I seem to be getting lazy in my old age.

Bonnie said...

Halloween party?? You have to throw one so I can crash it. That sounds like fun!
Speaking of weather -- It has been SO effing hot here for the entire summer, and now today it is, like, 40 degrees and storming. justallofasudden. Whoa.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Donna said...

The potato vine looks fantastic! So does the sunset against the woods.
Good going for doing yard laps! Could you get me motivated???

karen said...

Kathy you have the most beautful flowers and surrounding grounds! I'm envious - so pretty!

Ibu said...

Hi there, I have been visiting your blog for quite sometimes. Those flowers are beautiful. I always dream to have a garden like yours.

Linda Hoye said...

Beautiful property! You're blessed to have so much room to garden!

Holyoke Home said...

Holy crap! Those flowers look AMAZING! My sweet potato vines did the exact same thing this year. It's like they are on sweet potato vine crack or something.

Sandi said...

Wow, what amazing flowers! I've never grown sweet potatoes. I wonder if they would grow in the pacific northwest?? That vine is fantastic!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

When I look out my front I see a street, other peoples house so close we can talk back and forth across the street..
How lucky you are...such beautiful landscape. You bet I'll walk with you! YOU BET! :)

Deb Shucka said...

Sweet potato vine is one of my favorites. Your yard is beautiful - even the creepy woods.

Vicki Boster said...

Oh my - your flowers are beautiful this summer! They are liking the cooler weather for sure. Love your great big yard - (I love to mow grass - so I would have a hey day!)

Good luck clearing that path - its going to be a challenge! Will want to see photos of your finished project! You go girl!

Vicki