Thursday, April 17, 2014

Time Of Reflection

I did something a bit out of my "box".   A friend of mine belongs to the Presbyterian Church in our little town.  They were doing something they had never done before and she invited me to go with her to experience it.  They put a labyrinth in the middle of their Sanctuary and after reading an article  about it's meaning and how to navigate it, we walked the labyrinth together.  It was interesting and certainly a time for meditation and reflection...along with prayer.  The newspaper did a little paragraph about it:   "The procedure of  labyrinth walking is divided into three phases: the journey inward,  a pause for prayer or meditation at the center and the return journey" We went in and read some instructions on how this was to be done and some history about labyrinth walking.  The church was lovely and the music was very angelic.  (Although my friend didn't enjoy the music as much as I did!)  I liked the music because it kept me focused on prayer and meditating.  My mind wanders so much when I try to meditate in a quiet place! (I think I probably have some alphabetic disorder.. ADDHXYZ...or something) So the music helped!  We walked quietly and reverently.  I'm betting this experience meant more to some than others.  I think many people are looking for "something" in this world.  Whether it's a spiritual experience or answers to prayers or help in life, people will seek out these opportunities in many different ways.  I can't say I had any huge awakening to my soul, (I'm very happy in my own religion of choice...The Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints)  but taking time to ponder and pray is always time well spent....especially this week before Easter.  I have a strong faith and love what my Savior, Jesus Christ has done for me.  I love the Easter season.  I grew up Catholic and also celebrated "Greek (orthodox) Easter with my Mom's family.  It was a special time of traditions, fasting, prayer, and then the big feast.  No matter how or what you may believe, or if you even take this time to celebrate Easter, I wish you peace, happiness and love.  Here's a photo of  the labyrinth.

14 comments:

Hilary said...

There's a lovely outdoor labyrinth (the path marked with stones and natural grass growth.. with a stone bench in the center) in one of the towns where we had been looking for a home.. about an hour and a half from here. I made a point of walking it a few times. There is indeed something meditative and comforting about it.

I wish you and yours a wonderful Easter, Yaya.

Shady Del Knight said...

I'm sure the labyrinth walk proved to be a powerful metaphorical experience for you and the others, YaYa.

I wish you and your wonderful family profound peace and joy this Easter, dear friend.

Julia said...

Thanks for sharing the Labyrinth walk with us. I've read about Labyrinth before and always wished that we had a Labyrinth near by. I would love walking on an outdoor one.

Happy Easter Yaya.
Hugs,
JB

Rosaria Williams said...

It comes down to having an interior life, call it spirituality, call it religion, all adding up to living consciously, accepting our roles in life, acknowledging what is beyond our understanding, and be ever thankful of all the beauty and blessings around us.

Willow said...

Thank you for sharing your experience with us Yaya.
I have walked outdoor nature labyrinths on several occasions .
It is an interesting experience .
I hope you and you family have a beautiful , joyful Easter.

Sweet Tea said...

I've never heard much about a Labrinth when it comes to Christianity - will have to google it. Beautiful church. Have a blessed Easter, YaYa.

Kay G. said...

http://www.labyrinthos.net/typology.html

If you look at website above, you will see labyrinths in England!
I was brought up Baptist, but attended Catholic Masses with friends and as an adult became an Episcopalian! Wishing you peace love and happiness at Easter and always. xx

Cindy said...

What a beautiful experience -- wishing you a joyful Easter holiday weekend!!

Stacy said...

I love having time to meditate and pray. I too often wonder in my thinking. Not sure it the alphabet thing, just the trail of thoughts that spark another...

Happy Easter my friend.

rjerdee said...

A contemplative way to prepare for Easter. Wishing you a happy Easter!

Susan Anderson said...

Sounds interesting, and I love how open you are to other faiths.

=)

selvageedge said...

I have never heard of labyrinth walking as a form of meditation. Very interesting. It is a beautiful church too, a good setting for quiet reflection.

Vicki Boster said...

Kathy- I've never heard of this before- but I think it's a wonderful idea-- I love the idea of self reelection and prayer as you walk the maze--
Happy Easter--
Vicki

Paul Forster said...

I enjoyed reading your post. Taking time out to reflect, meditate and exercise are important for my spiritual well being. Thank you so much for your lovely comments. I really appreciated your kind words.