Saturday, May 10, 2014

Birthday Greetings

Is it weird to celebrate the birthday of your grown-up kiddos with food, family, laughter, cake, gifts, and fun? Well, it's not weird around here and especially not in the month of May.  We have many birthdays this month. Our Grandkiddo Lexi turned 8 on the 7th.
She's a smart little cookie who loves to read and help in the kitchen. She really enjoys watching food network too! She's a lot of fun and she's a good big Sis to Addy.  She also gets to share her birthday week with her Dad.  Our son Phil turned 34 yesterday and we celebrated with a little rib cook out!  Yum! It was a fun evening. Phil is my creative one. He's also very handy at any project he decides to undertake...thanks to You-tube !  Growing up he was a real corker...never knew what was going to come out of his mouth!  At work they always ask me to tell some good little kiddo Phil stories.
When he was in pre-school he told the teacher we beat him with a baseball bat.  She of course had to question me about it.  I looked at her like she had 2 heads. I remember saying that if we had beat him with a baseball bat wouldn't he look a bit bruised and battered? I looked at Phil and asked why he would say that. He kept saying: "It's true, you know it is"...as I dragged  him out the door he kept saying that.  When we got to the car he told me his brothers had hit him with a little plastic bat. I was lucky they didn't turn me into child welfare services! I have many other stories but my very favorite has to be when we went to my Grandmother's funeral. Phil was 6.  When we went up to the casket and were quietly looking at her he burst out: "She's breathing! Yep, She's breathing!"  I quietly said, "No, she's not breathing"..He loudly said: "Yes, she's breathing!".  I sat him down in the back of the funeral home and told him again she wasn't breathing and he needed to talk quietly.  He then loudly said "If she's dead, why do we have to whisper??"  It was at this point I noticed his little brother Jordan was missing. After searching everywhere we found Jordan across the hall from my Grandmother's viewing at another funeral standing at that casket!  Oh, I could go on but you get the picture! One of Phil's loves is music.  He got a guitar when he was 12 and took lessons for many years. He even had a band in high school and made a CD. He loved to write his own songs.
Those were crazy years too! You never knew what he would come up with.  Like shaving his head and piercing his tongue. He threw a party in his senior year when we had gone out of town.  To make sure we wouldn't find out, he took everything off the walls and out of china cabinets and shelves that might get broken. Before he did that he took polaroid pictures so he could put everything back in the right place.  However, when you live in a small town it's almost impossible to get away with anything.  It's amazing we and him made it to adulthood with our sanity! He's really close to his brother Jordan.
When they were little we called them "Wally and the Beave". Phil's the one on the right with the big smile.  He still has the best smile!
Happy Birthday Phil! I hope you have as much fun with your 2 kiddos as we did with you!  Nothing like "paybacks" to make a parent smile!

11 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa! I was thinking about you today, wondering when you were going to post again and hoping you were in good spirits. This is a wonderful double birthday tribute for Grandkiddo Lexi and Kiddo Phil. How nice that their special days come right before Mother's Day! I'll bet Lexi watches the Rachael Ray Show every chance she gets. Those stories about Phil are doozies. His boyhood seems to have been filled with mischief and merriment as was mine and he does have a winning smile. Happy birthday to Lexi and to Phil and happy Mother's Day to my dear friend YaYa!

acorn hollow said...

great stories and he made it to adulthood. Happy birthday to them both.
Cathy

gin said...

Great memories!! And yes, we must keep celebrating birthdays for everyone young and old. We do the whole birthday thing for our grown kids too -- cake ice cream food gifts and a lot of love! Happy birthday Lexi and Phil and happy Mother's Day to you.

MunirGhiasuddin said...

Birthdays are to be celebrated at every age. Good for you guys.
This year we were lucky enough to celebrate our sons's birthday with him in Hawaii.

selvageedge said...

I'm impressed that he was so careful with all of your breakables. Usually kids planning those parties aren't quite that careful. :)
Happy birthday, Phil!

Donna said...

Fun stories about Phil! Happy bday to Phil and Lexi!!

B. WHITTINGTON said...

Raising Phil sounds worse than raising my three daughters. Girls are such Drama Queens. The bat story was insane, that you beat him with it.
Very funny. We have some wild stories too and wouldn't trade them for anything. It's what makes our lives so full. Our kiddies and their kiddies. Hugs to you on this special day.

Stacy said...

Those are funny stories. I'm glad it's not just mine...

Julia said...

I had such fun reading this post that I forgot to leave a comment as I was reading it to my daughter.

Happy belated birthday to Phil and Lexi. I love the Polaroid trick, hahaha.
Hugs,
JB

Unknown said...

To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing. See the link below for more info.

#breathing
www.mocsbar.com

Unknown said...

I was searching online for articles that I can benefit, I’m glad I come across your site amazing post and everyone has submitted their mature views regarding this.

www.triciajoy.com