Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Hello May....And Hello Spring..Finally!

Many folks are wandering around Ashland saying:  "Wow, I can't believe it's May already."  Of course we can't believe it's May, it's felt like January since January!    But the warm air found us and today it was 83!  Now I would like a few days of just regular Spring temps but this warm air will bring out the leaves and blossoms.
As  you can see the trees are still bare!  But hope springs eternal as some things are blooming:
Hello Magnolia!
Howdy lilac...it's about a month behind but I'll look forward to their lovely smell and pretty flowers.
I mowed for the first time this Monday.   The smell of fresh mowed grass was heavy in the air tonight as many of the neighbors were out mowing.   Very green!  Very lovely!   As I was wandering the Pines I could hear the kiddos next door laughing and having fun with their Dad.  I went to the fence to see if I could catch them and find out their new horse's name.  But all I found was their very curious Alpaca! 
He came out of the barn to see what I was up too!  He kept going back inside and then would come back out to see if I was still there.  They really are funny creatures!   The night was creeping in and as I was heading inside I saw this cool leaf on the ground.
I thought it was pretty interesting...doesn't take much to thrill me does it. 
As the daylight was ending, I took this last shot.  Not a vibrant sunset pic..just the night sky softly glowing.  I also want to take this last minute to give a final farewell to a good Doctor that I also consider a friend.  I blogged about Dr. Shikary in January of 2017 when he was diagnosed with lung cancer.   He did really well and even wanted to come back to work last summer but the hospital wouldn't let him.   I saw him a few times around town and not long ago I was standing at the crosswalk by the hospital when he spotted me and stopped in the middle of the intersection waving and smiling and just wanting to say hi.  I didn't care if we held up traffic, it was just so nice to see him looking good and enjoying life.  Unfortunately this last month his health deteriorated and he passed away last night.  He will be missed by many who had the privilege of working with him over the years as well as being one of his patients who benefited from his good care.  I'm one of those people.   He was a good guy and a wonderful doctor.  I wish everyone could have known him like the staff at Samaritan did. 

7 comments:

gin said...

Yayyy!! So glad spring has finally found you!! The leaf looks perfect for Halloween, kinda a ghostly leaf. So sorry about the passing of your friend.

betty said...

Sorry about the passing of your friend; does seem like a very caring individual. I'm sure he will be missed by so many and I'm sure he left a wonderful legacy behind. What a cool leaf! I loved your picture of the freshly mowed green grass! Some thing we rarely see here (that much green). Glad the trees are starting to blossom, albeit a bit later this year.

betty

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I am terribly sorry to learn of the passing of your much loved Dr. Shikary. I remember you telling us about him a year ago. It was a blessing you had a chance to see him in recent weeks and months. The sad news you reported fits well with the picture of the peaceful sunset. The sun sailed away over the horizon taking with it another day and a life that will be long remembered.

Your lawn looks like a golf course fairway. You and Jack should consider turning your property into one of the official stops on the PGA or LPGA tour. :) I'm sorry it has been one of those frustrating northern springs with prolonged winter weather that suddenly turns summerlike overnight. I hope you will enjoy many more days in the 60s and 70s before summer arrives.

I'm thankful you gave us a peek at the curious Alpaca as he paced in and out of his barn to see what you were up to. I wonder if he ever catches the unmistakable scent of Yeti dung originating from your Creepy Woods.

Enjoy the rest of your week and weekend, dear friend YaYa!

acorn hollow said...

So sorry about the loss of the DR. So hard to lose someone who helped so many.
We were 88 today we went from 50 to 88 I would like spring weather too leave summer to July and August. You are still very far ahead of us no mowing or lilac's here yet.
Cathy

Rick Watson said...

I’m glad spring has finally arrived there. I love the leaf and the sunset was remarkable. It looks like a Monet.
Sorry about your friend. Cancer is a blight.

Donna said...

Your tree pics are beautiful! It was sad to see Dr. S's family today. They are as remarkable as he was. We'll miss him for sure!!

CHERI said...

Sadly, spring here seems to have last about 5 days and now we are already experiencing the heat of summer!!! The gnats were after me this afternoon as I diligently watered my many outdoor plants. Glad you are enjoying your spring after the long winter. Please come over and visit me at www.cherischatter.blogspot.com sometimes.